|Mackenzie McDonald of Piedmont beat Florian Lakat|
on Court 1 to clinch UCLA's 4-1 victory over Cal in the
Pac-12 final. 2015 photo by Paul Bauman
The Cal men, seeded third and ranked 16th, lost to UCLA, seeded first and ranked second, 4-1 on Saturday in the Pac-12 final in Ojai. No Cal team has won the Pac-12 title.
Mackenzie McDonald, ranked No. 10, clinched the victory for the Bruins (22-2) on Court 1. The junior from Piedmont in the San Francisco Bay Area outlasted No. 27 Florian Lakat 5-7, 6-4, 6-4, dropping Cal to 17-6.
No. 1 seed Maegan Manasse of Cal will play No. 3 seed and defending champion Catherine Harrison of UCLA for the women's singles title today at 10 a.m. (Pac-12 Network).
Manasse, ranked 11th, wore down fourth-seeded Giuliana Olmos of USC and Fremont in the Bay Area 6-4, 6-0. Harrison, ranked 17th, outclassed seventh-seeded Lauren Marker of Arizona 6-1, 6-4.
Manasse will try to become the third Bear to win the Pac-12 singles title and first since Zsuzsanna Fodor 10 years ago. Raquel Kops-Jones triumphed in 2004.
In today's 1 p.m. doubles final, Stanford's Melissa Lord and Carol Zhao will meet Alexandra Osborne and Ebony Panoho of Arizona State in a matchup of unseeded teams. Zhao won the title with Taylor Davidson last year.
Osborne and Panoho upset fourth-seeded Olmos and Gabby Smith 6-2.
In Ojai, Calif.
No. 2 UCLA 4, No. 16 Cal 1
1. No. 5 Mackenzie McDonald (Piedmont) and Martin Redlicki, UCLA, def. No. 11 Filip Bergevi and Florian Lakat, 6-1.2. Andre Goransson and Oskar Wikberg, Cal, led Karue Sell and Joseph Di Giulio, 5-4, abandoned.
3. Austin Rapp and Maxime Cressy, UCLA, def. J.T. Nishimura (San Jose) and Mads Engsted, 6-3.
Order of finish: 1, 3
Singles1. No. 10 Mackenzie McDonald (Piedmont), UCLA, def. No. 27 Florian Lakat, 5-7, 6-4, 6-4.
2. No. 42 Martin Redlicki, UCLA, def. No. 28 Andre Goransson, 6-2, 6-3.
3. No. 55 Gage Brymer, UCLA, led No. 82 Billy Griffith (Fresno), 4-6, 7-6 (4), 3-0.
4. Filip Bergevi, Cal, def. No. 92 Karue Sell, UCLA, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4.
5. Logan Staggs (Tracy), UCLA, led No. 122 Oskar Wikberg, 4-6, 7-6 (0), 4-2.
6. Joseph Di Giulio, UCLA, def. J.T. Nishimura (San Jose), 3-6, 7-6 (6), 6-3.
Order of finish: 2, 4, 6, 1
Women's singles semifinalsNo. 11 Maegan Manasse (1), Cal, def. No. 24 Giuliana Olmos (4), USC/Fremont, 6-4, 6-0.
No. 17 Catherine Harrison (3), UCLA, def. No. 51 Lauren Marker (7), Arizona, 6-1, 6-4.
Women's doubles semifinalsNo. 22 Alexandra Osborne and Ebony Panoho, Arizona State, def. No. 7 Giuliana Olmos (Fremont) and Gabby Smith (4), USC, 6-2.
Melissa Lord and Carol Zhao, Stanford, def. No. 34 Nour Abbes and Miki Kobayashi, Washington, 6-4.